Sunday, October 13, 2013

day thirteen: praying BIG is simply praying to a BIG GOD.

A few years ago, my mom found my Christmas list from 1993, when I was 11, and sent it to me.  I love so much about this list. For example--my bad grammar, the misspelled words and my love of American Girl and Babysitter's Club books.  But what I love the most is my categories that start after #5 "What I know I won't get but I want" and then "Things I want but I'm POSITIVE I won't get."


I love that even though I felt like I knew enough about what mom would and wouldn't get for me, I still asked.  And I didn't ask small, either, y'all.  I unashamedly asked for not only NEW CONSTRUCTION on the house (my own bathroom) but for a TV--which is an even bigger/not-gonna-happen request than my own bathroom in the bookworm/anti-TV household I grew up in.

I admire my 11 year old guts to ask big, but at the same time I'm not surprised that I asked because I knew WHO I was asking to.  My mom.  I knew undoubtedly that my mom loved me and loved to give me good things.  So it only made sense for me to ask her for BIG things and not hold back.

 (Me and mom in Italy drinking "Coca Cola Light" :) back in 2009.)

So today, praying BIG is praying to my God who is BIG. He is my Creator. (Genesis 1, Psalm 139) He is my Kinsman-Redeemer. (Ruth 4) He is Love. (1 John 3) He is my Keeper. (Psalm 121)  He is my perfect Judge. (Isaiah 3:13) He is my Shepherd. (Isaiah 40:11) He is strong and mighty. (Psalm 24:8) He is my Father. (Matthew 6:8)

Praying BIG is simply praying to my Father who is BIG.


1 comment: