Sunday, October 6, 2013

day six: praying BIG is praying Jesus' name.

(Snagged this from Pinterest--link here.)

One of my favorite ways to pray when I want to pray BIG is simply "Jesus -- [person's name] -- Jesus" because I believe these words in Proverbs 18:10 to be true. 

"The name of the Lord is a STRONG TOWER. The righteous run to it and they are safe." Proverbs 18:10

I am weird and need a visual a lot of times. And so when I pray this way, I imagine putting whoever it is into the arms of Jesus and them being surrounded by the letters J-E-S-U-S (in a really pretty font...or handwritten lettering by someone super talented like Sidney Scott or Kerry Greco :)) and then I can see the letters join together around my friend and when they connect, there's a power released.

I've watched the name of Jesus be profoundly offensive to people and every time that happens, it just reminds me that His name isn't just a name.  It's got a POWER in it that incites a response instinctively.

But daggum if I don't end prayers all the time "In Jesus' name" without really taking hold of the power in Jesus' name. Oh, I am so sorry, Lord, for not praying BIG because I forget that even when my faith is small and my vision is tiny, that You are so BIG that simply uttering Your name makes big things happen.

And so tonight as I pray through all the things I'm thankful for, things I'm repenting of, people I love, concerns I have and thoughts just running a muck through my head, I pray in the name of Jesus--"The name that is above every name." Philippians 2:4 and I can rest easy that His name is power and covers over it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment