Tuesday, November 5, 2013

day five: 3 gifts ACORN-SIZED

Gotta be honest. It took me a while today to figure out why the heck I'm looking for things that are acorn sized to be thankful for.  Maybe because Jess Boro wrote to Ann Voskamp and suggested it because she loves tiny things?  :)  Then I realized we're going for a "harvest/Thanksgiving" theme.  Got it.

But my eyes were also opened to how I skip over the little things--literally little things.  Looking out for some that I was thankful for today was unnatural and reminded me of how I live in an upside down Kingdom.  That this world says keep our eyes on the big things and strive to be big, when Jesus calls us to care for those and that which are small and to make ourselves small.  In Brett's sermon (shameless plug--listen to it here!) this week he taught from this passage which came to mind today thinking about being small and appreciating the small things:

"You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them...NOT SO WITH YOU.  Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave--just as the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:25-28)

3 gifts: ACORN SIZED

1. Marshmallows.

Want to see a three year old light up?  Offer them a mini marshmallow.  Want to see them squeal with delight?  Offer them three.  Making homemade hot chocolate with THREE mini marshmallows and snuggling in bed watching The Lorax while Haddie took her morning nap was not just sweet, it was holy ground. 

2. Chopped up veggies in homemade chicken noodle soup.


(Images borrowed from Pioneer Woman herself here.)

On Tuesdays, a group of women in town get together for an "impromptu" lunch.  It started as an impromtu lunch a while back and we all loved it so much that we unofficially block out lunch on Tuesday to be with each other.  Today they came over to my house and to keep out the cold, I made Pioneer Woman's Chicken & Noodles.  Um hello it was great.  But it's hard to go wrong with my dear friend Ree Drummond.  :)  But even so, it wouldn't have been nearly as delicious if not shared with DEAR sisters in Christ.  ...and Landon.  :)

3. My girls' beautiful blue eyes.


I am so thankful.  So, so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment